The Strip of Land at Galle Face was initially used by Dutch invaders to strategically position their cannons in line to fire at oncoming enemy forces around Fort. Some of these ancient cannons can still be seen along the paved front of Galle Face.
The Galle Face Green initially occupied a vast area of Land and in 1856 the then Governor of Ceylon, Sir Henry George Ward commissioned a strip of land on the green to be made into an esplanade where ladies and children could meander and take in the air.
This prime open land area in Colombo led to Galle Face Being used for many sports namely; horse racing, golf, cricket and rugby in the 1800’s but soon had to move to more private locations in Colombo as Galle Face became more and more crowded and they had to share the space with each other.
The very first Royal-Thomian Cricket encounter was played here in 1879 when Royal College was known as Colombo Academy. Colombo Academy defeated St. Thomas’ College Mt. Lavinia, winning by 56 runs.
The Galle Face green soon became a large open area frequented by more and more people on a regular basis.